Curried Chickpea Salad
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked then cooked until very tender, or two 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 celery ribs, diced small
- 1 large organic Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced small
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 2 whole scallions, green parts thinly sliced and white parts minced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Place half of the chickpeas in a food processor and pulse them once or twice to chop them up a bit. This can also be done in a bowl with a potato masher.
2. Place the chickpeas and the rest of the salad ingredients in a large bowl and mix them with a rubber spatula until well combined.
3. Season the salad with salt and pepper then cover and refrigerate it for 30 minutes minimum before serving.
This recipe appears in Roberto's New Vegan Cooking, by Roberto Martin.http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-18704/insanely-simple-curried-chickpea-salad.html