Ground almonds and eggs hold these veggie-laced alternatives to traditional meatballs together. For appetizer-size meatballs, shape into 30 smaller rounds instead of 12, and bake 15 to 20 minutes.
4 cups broccoli florets (1 large head)
1 cup raw almonds (soaked and drained)
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese (we used a rawmesan cheese consisting of pinenuts, lemon juice, and garlic)
¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
2 large eggs (one can substitute 1/2 cup of liquid + 2 TBS flax meal, we have used sundried tomato soak water)
1 Tbs. olive oil (we didn't use any oil)
¼ cup diced white onion
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1. To make Meatballs: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Steam broccoli florets 10 minutes, or until tender and bright green. Cool. (We steamed it ~ 5 minutes)
3. Pulse almonds in food processor until finely ground. Transfer to large mixing bowl.
4. Pulse steamed broccoli in food processor until chopped. Transfer to bowl with ground almonds. Add Parmesan, basil, parsley, garlic, and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5. Whisk eggs in small bowl, then stir eggs into broccoli mixture.
6. Shape mixture into 12 Meatballs by hand, pressing firmly to ensure Meatballs hold their shape. Place on prepared baking sheet, and bake 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. To make Garlic-Tomato Sauce: Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Add tomatoes and their juice, and cook 20 minutes, or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.