Monday, December 13, 2021

My best Christmas Present Ever


Over the weekend I was asked my best Christmas Present ever! The above picture is Christmas Day!!!
Here is my answer
I had been told for years due to endometriosis i would never have been able to have children and then I was pregnant.
I had always been tiny, and I got big quickly. I asked the doctor if i was having twins, to shut me up, a quick ultrasound, 1 boy, go on your business trip.
I left for CA for 10 days. The morning I was to leave CA, my hotel bed was slightly wet, at 29 weeks pregnant. I flew home.
The following Monday, 33 years ago today, I started cramping, passed the "plug" and went to the doctor. I was a "work-in". I continually went to the receptionist telling her I thought I was in labor.
Her response, "believe me you would know!"
I was seen by the doctor to find out I was dilatated 4 cm, the ultrasound showed twins...
The doctor borrowed the nurse's Toyota, he didn't want to deliver babies in his Volvo. The ambulance met us on the highway and followed us to the hospital. The higher definition ultrasound showed 2 baby girls.
I was given an experimental drug to develop their lungs and Mag sulfate to hold off the labor. I was asked to "cross my legs" for 48 hours for the lung developing drug to work. 
I hadn't located their father but continued to try. I contacted my sister who lived in the city where he was in school and then my parents. Without my knowledge, my grandmother was at a nearby hospital having a mastectomy. My parents had just gotten home, Jamestown, from sitting with my grandfather in Durham and drove back to Raleigh that night to be with me. 
Twenty-four hours later I was given the second dose of the experimental lung developing med.
After forty-six hours the Mag Sulfate was doing such a number on my body, uncontrollable shaking with a drop in my body temperature. It was stopped and labor started.
At 8:00 PM (48 hours later) Joe was born. Tim was breech, after multiple tries to flip him, the doctor reached inside and grabbed his legs with one contraction and pulled him out with the next one, 15 minutes later.
Tim had been the one to break my water where he was wedged under my ribcage, hiding from the initial ultrasound.
My boys, yes boys, were the healthiest at the crowded N-ICU and were transferred to another hospital. I was also transferred for a couple of nights.
The N-ICU doctor told me if they lived 10 days, the chances of survival were good. Ten days would be Christmas day.
At 5 1/2 weeks they were released from the hospital, 4 1/2 weeks earlier than expected.

Thank you for being the best Christmas present ever!!
I am so proud of the men you are at the age of 33!!!
Happy Birthday!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment