We received this recipe over the weekend Zoom Burgers . We are always looking for burger replacement especially during the "grill" months. To make this a "meatloaf" double the recipe, make larger "mini-loaves" instead of patties, start the dehydration at 125 for 2 hours and then reduce the temperature to 105 and continue to follow the dehydration directions.
We had them when the hubby had burgers, served with sweet potato fries on half an Udi's bun and a salad.
Author: Cherie Soria
Recipe Type: Main Entree
Cuisine: Raw Vegan
Serves: 3-4 small burgers
- ¾ cup walnuts, soaked and dehydrated
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 tablespoon dark miso (we used chickpea miso because it is gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon purified water
- ¾ cup minced mushrooms
- ⅓ cup minced celery
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1½ tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1½ teaspoons minced fresh sage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Place ½ cup of the walnuts in a food processor fitted with the S blade and grind them into a powder. Add the zucchini and pulse to mix. (Do not overprocess; the mixture should have a little texture.) Transfer to a large bowl.
- Mince the remaining walnuts by hand or coarsely grind them by pulsing them in the food processor.
- Place the miso and water in a small bowl, and stir them together with a fork to form a loose paste. Add the paste and all of the remaining ingredients to the zucchini mixture and stir well.
(We did the entire mixing in the food processor.)
- Form 3–4 small burger patties, each about ½ inch thick, using approximately ½ cup of the mixture per patty. (If smaller burgers are desired, use less of the mixture).
- Place the burgers on a dehydrator tray lined with a nonstick sheet and dehydrate them at 105 degrees for 4 hours. Turn the burgers over onto a mesh screen (without a nonstick sheet) and continue dehydrating for 2–8 hours longer, or until the outside is crusty and the inside is moist and chewy.
- Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, Zoom Burgers will keep for up to 3 days.